Friday 3 April 2015

Protein Twix Bars



Wahoo, it's the bank holiday! As of today, I'm on a week's break (my first full week off work in THREE years) and I can't wait. I plan on spending my Easter weekend as follows: sleep, eat, train, sleep, eat. Perfection, right?

Anyway, I have a little confession - I had loads of Easter recipes to share with you guys, but I've been so busy over the last few weeks that they kind of fell to the wayside. 

Thankfully, I had these Protein Twix Bars (Paleo and raw, if you use vegan protein) already up my sleeve and ready to be blogged. I know that Twix bars aren't exactly associated with Easter, but if you're craving something chocolatey and want to keep it clean, then these are your best friends...

Protein Twix Bars

What clean treats are you rustling up this weekend?

Sam x


PROTEIN TWIX BARS


Raw twix Bars

Ingredients:
For the shortbread -
100g macadamia nuts (or almonds)
1 scoop vanilla or unflavoured protein powder
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp Lucy Bee coconut oil, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

For the caramel -
10 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
3 tbsp almond butter
2 tbsp almond milk
1 tbsp vanilla protein
Pinch salt

To coat -
80g dark chocolate (75% or higher)
1/2 tbsp Lucy Bee coconut oil, melted

Method:

1) Make your shortbread by blitzing together the macadamia nuts until the form a flour-like texture. Add in the remaining ingredients and blend into a semi-sticky dough. Press into a ready-lined tin (I used a loaf tin) and place in the freezer to set.

2) In the meantime, make your caramel by blending all ingredients until smooth. Spread over the shortbread and freeze until set.

3) Once set, gently melt together the chocolate and coconut oil, stirring until smooth. Cut your shortbread / caramel layers into bars, then dunk in the melted chocolate and place on a sheet of baking paper to set. Enjoy!