Tuesday 16 July 2013

Saintly Tuesdays - Peanut Butter Protein Bars


I honestly think that I need to go to peanut butter rehab. Or at least, I need to invent PB rehab. I just can’t seem to get enough of the stuff.

Every week, I make a jar of homemade butter and devour it in days. A teaspoon here, a mixing spoon there...it’s goddamn irresistible! Does anyone else have this problem?

I know that it’s healthy, but probably not in the amounts I consume it. And definitely not when I’m eating ten of these homemade Peanut Butter Cups. Or this PB glazed Banana Bread. Oops.

My latest peanut butter fix is these gorgeous Peanut Butter Protein Bars. I’ve actually spent months tweaking this recipe and I finally think I’ve perfected it.

Homemade peanut butter protein bars

These little slices of protein heaven are the latest snack to fuel me through the afternoon. They taste a little bit like shortbread and are brilliantly filling and tasty.

Peanut Butter Protein Bars


Containing chocolate protein powder, pumpkin seeds, natural nut butter, coconut oil, almond milk and only a squidge of honey, it is packed with plenty of healthy goodies.

I do like to keep you on your healthy toes ;)

Sam x

P.S Once you melt everything together, try it...I dare you. It tastes amazing.

PEANUT BUTTER PROTEIN BARS

Ingredients:


250g natural peanut butter
3 tbsp honey 
3 tbsp Lucy Bee coconut oil
5-8 tbsp almond milk
4 scoops protein powder (I use chocolate flavour)
1 cup oats
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
Handful of raw cacao nibs / chopped nuts / raisins (optional)


Method:

1) In a microwave, melt together the peanut butter, honey and coconut oil, then mix until well combined. This is yummy and irresistible...I have been known to eat the lot.

2) Next, stir the protein powder, cocoa and oats into the wet mixture, then add the milk until it all comes together - it shouldn't be too sticky, so add the milk according to texture. 

3) Stir in any optional extras, then press into a lined brownie tin. Leave to set in the fridge and cut into squares. Devour for a guilt-free treat!