Thursday 4 April 2013

Thursday Treats - Lemon and Oatmeal Creme Squares


OK, I admit it. I overdid it on the chocolate over the Easter weekend - hands up who's with me?

I had chocolate eggs for breakfast, chocolate brownies for lunch and perhaps just a bowl or two of chocolate ice cream for dinner. I was well and truly podged.

I don't know about anyone else, but I actually got sick and tired of chocolate. You know you've overindulged when you can't even face a bar of Green and Blacks, right?

Anyway, this week my kitchen has become a chocolate-free zone, meaning this recipe for Lemon and Oatmeal Creme Squares have become my baked treat of choice.

lemon oatmeal, recipe



Deliciously zingy and fruity, they are actually perfect for making when you want a lighter treat this spring. The oatmeal cookie base (yes, oatmeal cookie!) and topping also means they are fab for breakfasts where you just want to spoil yourself - and we all need that sometimes, right?

I'm sure I'll be back to chocolate baking next week, so enjoy the fruity break while you can!

Sam x

Lemon and Oatmeal Creme Squares

oatmeal recipe



Ingredients:

For the oatmeal base:
160g flour
1tsp baking powder
100g rolled oats
120g butter
180g light brown sugar
Pinch salt
One egg


For the creme:
120g unsalted butter
One can sweetened condensed milk
Juice and zest of two large lemons / three small lemons

Method:

1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees, then grease and line a brownie tin.

2) To make the oatmeal cookie base, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and oats.

3) Take the flour mixture and stir in to the butter and sugar goop until it's combined, then mix in the egg. Press just over half of the oatmeal cookie dough into the greased tin and bake for 15 minutes.

4) While the cookie dough is baking, get started on your lemon creme. Stir together the condensed milk, the lemon peel and lemon juice, then spread over the baked cookie base when it comes out of the oven.

5) Scatter the remaining cookie dough over the top, then bake for around 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cut into squares and enjoy!