Monday 18 May 2015

Ginger Loaf Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting (High Protein)


We all know that I love my cake.

Of course, I love chocolate too. And Haribo. And nut butter...

But, I really, really love cake.

After a stressful week of work and toddler tantrums, nothing beats curling up on the sofa with a cup of tea and a cake. Preferably, all to myself!

When I was younger, I loved anything sticky toffee or ginger flavoured. That Jamaican loaf cake you get? How good was that?! I love the warmth that ginger can lend to a cake - it's so comforting and satisfying. Plus, it's not as rich as chocolate cakes, so there's room in the belly for far more!

I had a go at making my own version with this Ginger Loaf Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting. Made high protein with whey and also totally Paleo if needed (simply switch to non-dairy options), this is a fantastic guilt-free option.


Anyway, I would love to get making more delicious childhood favourites. Which are the must-haves you'd love me to have a go at recreating? Let me know!

Sam x

GINGER LOAF CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING


Ingredients:
1.5 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup vanilla protein
2 eggs
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
4 tbsp Coconom coconut sugar
3.5 tbsp grass-fed butter, melted
2 tbsp Sweet Freedom
1 tbsp almond milk
Pinch salt
3/4 tsp baking powder

For the frosting:
200g Quark
4 tbsp Sukrin Zero icing sugar (or more, to taste)
1 tbsp butter
1.5 tsp vanilla extract

Method:
1) Preheat the oven to 180C, then grease and line a loaf tin. Blend each of the cake ingredients together until smooth, then pour into the prepared tin. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes, or until cooked through. Leave to cool.

2) Once the cake has cooled, beat together the Quark, icing sugar, butter and vanilla until smooth. Add more icing sugar to taste, if desired. Spread over the cooled cake, then cut into slices and enjoy!