Saturday 25 April 2015

Double Chocolate Fudge Cake (Gluten-Free, Paleo)


I have a confession to make: I don't like chocolate cake.

There, I said it. I know, I know, it's not normal. But ever since I was a little girl, I would much rather dig into a huge slab of Victoria Sponge, or my mum's homemade lemon meringue cake. Perhaps a coffee and walnut cake, or even a carrot, topped with a fluffy cream cheese frosting.

In fact, you could give me anything but chocolate cake.

However, my friends, family and boyfriend all love chocolate more than anything else on this planet. So I decided to make a gooey, ultra-rich, decadent Double Chocolate Fudge Cake in honour of them. Of course, I made it as healthy as possible, using gluten-free and Paleo ingredients and, to my surprise, I loved it.

Really, really loved it...


Paleo Double Chocolate Fudge Cake

It was everything you could possibly want in a cake and more, and tasted incredible when eaten warm with ice cream. And who could ever guess that a cake this inviting, this delicious, could be so good for you?

 

What are your favourite cakes? Let me know so I can recreate your favourites in a healthy way!

Sam x

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE



Ingredients:
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup Creative Nature cacao
1 tbsp Coconom coconut sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/2 cup sweet potato puree
1 egg
5 tbsp honey
2 tbsp peanut butter (I used Buff Bakes Choc Chip)
1 tbsp Lucy Bee coconut oil
1 tsp espresso (enhances the chocolate flavour)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

For the frosting:
2 tbsp Sukrin icing sugar
3/4 tbsp Creative Nature cacao
1-2 tbsp almond milk

Method:

1) Preheat the oven to 180C and grease and line a loaf tin. Stir together the dry ingredients - the cacao, almonds, coconut sugar and the bicarb.

2) In a separate bowl, gently melt together the honey, peanut butter and coconut oil. Whisk in the sweet potato, egg, espresso and vanilla. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry, then fold in half the chocolate chips. Pour into the loaf tin, then sprinkle over the remaining chocolate chips.

3) Bake for around 40 minutes, then remove from the oven. Start making your frosting by mixing together the icing sugar with the cacao. Slowly stir in the almond milk, one tsp at a time, until you have a slightly thickened glaze. Drizzle over the warm loaf cake and serve (I like this one warm, but it works well cool too!)