Tuesday 3 September 2013

Saintly Tuesdays - Healthy Homemade Coconut Crunch Granola


I've never much been a fan of granola.

For the most part - despite being promoted as healthy and "low fat" - shop-bought granola tends to be laden with sugar. Also, I'm a scrambled eggs girl in the morning. I just can't help myself when it comes to eggs and smoked salmon - breakfast of queens.

However, after much procrastinating on Pinterest, I got inspired by a load of homemade granola recipes. You see, granola CAN be healthy and it doesn't have to be packed full of artificial ingredients.

My recipe for Homemade Coconut Crunch Granola was thrown together based on what I had in my cupboard and, honestly, tasted AMAZING. It was so good in fact that my dad is now paying me to keep him in it...

Containing coconut oil, flax seeds, chia seeds, nuts and sweetened with natural maple syrup, this is one breakfast staple I'm keeping up my sleeve. Just sprinkle on top of Greek yoghurt for a delicious treat!

Sam x

P.S If you want granola which clumps together, you'll have to up the sugar and/or oil content - goodbye healthy granola!

HOMEMADE COCONUT CRUNCH GRANOLA 


Healthy Homemade Granola Recipe

Ingredients:

400g rolled oats
50g chopped nuts
60g desiccated coconut
3 tbsp chia seeds
3 tbsp flax seeds
110g maple syrup
3 tbsp Lucy Bee Coconut Oil
200g unsweetened dried fruit (I used apricots and dates)

Method:

1) Preheat the oven to 160C. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the oats, coconut, nuts, fruit and chia and flax seeds.

2) Next, melt together the coconut oil and maple syrup, then stir through the oat mixture until combined. Spread on a lined baking sheet, then bake for 20 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning.

3) Let the granola cook, then store in a Tupperware container. Serve with Greek Yoghurt and enjoy!