Thursday 26 September 2013

Inspiration For Christmas Breaks in the UK


I don't know whether it comes as part of growing up and settling down, but I adore 'staycations.'

Actually, come to think of it, I probably waved goodbye to my old holidays when motherhood hit. Long gone are the lazy, blissful summers spent lounging on a beach, cocktail in one hand, Kindle in the other.

Take this summer, for example. Instead of a luxe beach break in sunny Greece, we took our little motley crew (dog included) to Cornwall and LOVED it. Not only was it miles cheaper, but there were a ridiculous amount of things for us to see and do, the beaches were as beautiful as any abroad, and the stress of travel (goodbye aeroplanes and airport delays, goodbye exchange rates!) was minimal.

Kynance Cove, Cornwall
Enjoying the views in Cornwall

And with views and turquoise seas like those in Kynance Cove (pictured above), why go anywhere else? Yup, it all sounds tempting this staycation, doesn't it? And why not?

You see, the UK is full of some of the most breathtakingly beautiful places you could imagine. You can go mountain climbing in Wales, surfing in Cornwall, hiking in the Lakes, or sight seeing in London. Why go abroad when you have access to all of that?

Cornwall family breaks
Hubby and Zayn playing on the beach in Cornwall
There are so many places I have fallen head over heels in love with in the UK that I can't possibly stop staycationing now.

With all that in mind, I've already got to thinking about my next holiday away - and I want one over Christmas.

Those of you who know me well (and, in fact, those of you who don't) will probably know just how much I adore the festive season. I LOVE it. Kids have nothing on me...from around October, I become a bounding, excitable ball of energy. I am one of those people who counts down the 'sleeps' until the Big Day. Oh yes...

So, why holiday during that special time of year? Well, to me, there's something magical about the idea of escaping around Christmas, and seeing Zayn's face light up when he spies Santa. I love the idea of wrapping up warm and enjoying the winter wonderland atmosphere and the twinkling lights. Oh, and the idea of having a 5-course dinner cooked up for me definitely appeals...

So, where to go? There are plenty of places that accommodate UK Christmas breaks, like these from Butlins. With so much to choose from, I really am spoiled for choice.

Answers on a postcard, please.

Sam x