Thursday 27 June 2013

Sinner Thursdays - Best Ever Banana Bread With Peanut Butter Glaze


Everywhere I turn, there are bananas in my house. On the kitchen island, in the fridge, sitting on the arm of my sofa...

Seriously, I pretty much have bananas coming out of my ears.

You see, my little boy (that hurts saying that. He doesn't seem like a baby anymore!) LOVES bananas. I think he would eat them all day if he could. Bananas for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and everything in between.

Anyway, I digress. Because of this, we -always- have ripe bananas around, just begging to be used to bake my Best Ever Banana Bread, which I studded with chocolate chips.

Best Ever Banana Bread


Banana Bread Recipe


This is truly is the best recipe I have ever used for banana bread. It is delicious enough on its own, but to make it even more delicious (and because I am a PB addict), I topped it with an easy peasy peanut butter glaze.

Thanks to the use of oil, sour cream and super ripe bananas, this is a deliciously moist loaf, perfect for lazy afternoons or for enjoying over a cuppa with the girls.

Sam x

P.S However much some people love 'green' bananas, don't be tempted to use them in baking! The riper the banana, the more flavour they add to a dish as the longer they sit, the more the starch in them converts to sugar. Clever eh? However, aim for brown spots, not blackened!

BEST EVER BANANA BREAD WITH PEANUT BUTTER GLAZE

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

Ingredients

For the bread:
200g plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch cinnamon
Pinch salt
225g sugar
2 eggs
125ml vegetable oil
3 1/2 bananas, very ripe and mashed
2 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g Cadbury's Cookie Crunch chocolate

For the glaze:
2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
8 tsp water
150g icing sugar

Method

Banana Bread With Peanut Butter Glaze


1) Preheat oven to 180C, then grease and line a loaf tin.

2) Whisk together the sugar and the eggs until light and very fluffy, then stir in the oil. Add the mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla.

3) In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Fold in the dry ingredients and chocolate into the banana mixture, then pour into the lined loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Peanut Butter Glaze


4) Meanwhile, make the glaze by stirring together the ingredients until smooth. Once the banana bread has cooled, spread a generous layer over the top with a palette knife. Leave to set slightly before cutting into slices and eating.

N.B Recipe adapted from this Food Network Recipe,