Friday 17 May 2013

Friday Night Cooking - Slow-Cooked Beef and Sweet Potato Curry


I love a good curry. I mean, doesn't everyone?

I don't like to blow my own trumpet, but I happen to cook a pretty mean curry, which is probably a good job when you consider that hubby is Indian.

Once a week, I like to try and whip us up a fresh and healthy Indian dish because, let's face it, takeaway curries usually taste of grease and shop-bought...well, they're just never the same, are they?


This Slow-Cooked Beef and Sweet Potato Curry is my latest favourite and tastes absolutely to die for. The coconut milk and ginger means it tastes fresh and exotic, while the curry paste (feel free to make it from scratch!) gives it that authentic spice.

All in all, a great alternative to a Friday night takeaway...

Sam x


P.S As an experiment, I also added a dollop of peanut butter to mine (I'm an addict, aren't I?) and it tasted divine!

SLOW-COOKED BEEF AND SWEET POTATO CURRY



Ingredients

2 tbsp coconut oil
500g diced beef steak
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp cinnamon
Fresh ginger, grated (I used a piece around 2cm)
2 green chillies, chopped and deseeded
60g packet Massaman Curry Paste
400ml full-fat coconut milk
200ml beef stock
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tbsp lime juice
Fresh coriander
Large dollop of peanut butter (optional)

Method


1) Heat 1 tbsp of the coconut oil in a large wok or saucepan then, on a high heat, fry the diced beef until it is browned all over. Set aside.

2) Turn the heat down slightly, then add the final tbsp of oil to the wok. Fry the onions until softened and light brown, then stir in the garlic, chillies, and ginger and fry for a further minute. Add the curry paste to the mix, stir well to combine, and fry for another two minutes. (TIP: If you have an extractor fan, turn it on now - my house stank of curry for about a week after because I forgot!)



3) Throw the beef back into the pan, then add the coconut milk, stock and cinnamon and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down to a gentle heat and cover the pan, leaving the curry to simmer until the beef is tender. I left mine to simmer for around two hours, but remember to keep checking on it and adding more stock / water if it dries out!



4) Once the beef is tender and falls apart in your mouth, add the sweet potato (and peanut butter, if using) and cook for a further 15 minutes. Pour into bowls and squeeze in the lime juice and scatter coriander to serve.